Friday, July 9, 2010

Running for Cash?

The plan for my 40th birthday 100 mile run is developing. I’m at a crossroads with the plan though and I’m not sure where to go with it. It now seems to be morphing into something a little larger. I guess the way I originally imagined it all was me running through the day and night while having my family there and maybe a few interested friends to see me off on each loop with a little motivation. If I were lucky, a few people would train some themselves and then accompany me on a few of the loops to help me through the challenge.

As we have talked about the run with different people, several have brought up the idea of using the run as a charity fundraiser type thing. I’m not sure why this is giving me pause. I have nothing against charity by any means. It would be kind of cool to do something that would not only be fulfilling a personal goal but also provided some aid to someone less fortunate than myself. I think I’m afraid of making the whole thing into too large of an event.

Maybe I’m just becoming more introverted with age but also it could be I'm a little afraid to be the center of such attention by taking on such an endeavor. Not to mention, I absolutely suck at asking for and collecting money. I had a miserable and short career as a door to door vacuum salesman that has soured me on cold calling people for money. I feel like hosting a charity run might become more of a project than I am capable of doing well. I’m great at putting my head down and persevering. I’m not so great at planning, organizing, and rallying people.

On the one hand, I really don’t feel like my run merits that much attention. In the large scale of ultramarathons, mine will be mediocre at best. There are lots of people doing 100 mile, or even longer runs, and many doing them in far more impressive times than I will ever be able to manage. On the other hand, I know that my finishing time doesn’t really matter and if I can inspire a few people to get active with their lives and also raise some money for a good cause, what could possibly be wrong with that?

I think I have this fear of it turning into a big spectacle with friends, family and strangers showing up to support, people pledging money and news crews there to capture it all and then me failing miserably! I have to wipe such thoughts from my head. I will be successful.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment