Monday, October 25, 2010

“When you feel like stopping and can’t go any further…just keep going.”

In only 5 days I will be 40 years old! Strangely, it is not the getting older that is occupying my thoughts. I don’t feel run down or over the hill in the least. In fact, I am in the best shape of my life. Actually, I feel much stronger than when I was in the Marines even. The run is what’s on my mind and I can’t seem to think about much else right now.

In case you haven’t followed along since the beginning, on the morning of my birthday this Saturday, I will set out to cover 100 miles of trail at Busiek State Forest. For the last 8 months it has been at the forefront of my mind. If the distance isn’t enough of a challenge, the cumulative elevation change of almost 19,000 feet of rugged terrain and 68 water crossings should do the trick. I have collected everything I need and prepared myself, both mentally and physically, as much as possible. I’m simultaneously excited for it to start and ready for it to be over with so I can find something else to think about.

Preparation for the event has been a great journey. I have received encouragement from so many friends! Several people have told me that it has inspired them to get moving and that has been the best motivation. Throughout the run I will be reminding myself of the simplest yet profoundly appropriate piece of advice I heard from friend Mike Filla: “When you feel like stopping and can’t go any further…just keep going.”

The weather looks like it is going to be beautiful. The forecast is for a low of around 50 and a high near 70. It may actually be a little on the warm side but I suppose that is better than the 14 degrees and 6 inches of snow I faced when I toed the line of my first 50 mile ultramarathon a couple years ago.

I plan to start at 6:00 am on Saturday morning and should be done before lunch on Sunday. Sara is going to need company waiting for me to come around on each lap and if you are interested in running a lap (or more) with me that would be great as well! She will have a bonfire going and probably worrying about me more than necessary so someone to talk with would help the time pass for her.

Busiek is located some 20 miles south of Springfield. On Hwy 65, about 10 miles south of the Hwy F Sparta exit. As you head down the hill into the park, you come to a T. Take the road to the east (or left for the directionally challenged) and follow it to the last parking area. From there you should be able to see our campsite which will be the closest one to the parking lot.

I hope to see some of you there!

Week of October 18 - 20 Run, 48 Bike, 10 Walk

2 comments:

  1. Jim, I don't know you. I stumbled across this via Nathan Remington's news feed on my Facebook page.

    What I can say is that what you are doing is really inspiring. And I can only hope to do such a feat when I get to your age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Besim! You could totally do it. Wait, what do you mean by "your age!?" ;)

    ReplyDelete